In a Family Law case, the court has continuing jurisdiction to modify awards of alimony, child support, parental responsibility and time sharing. To bring the issues back before the court, a Supplemental Petition for Modification must be filed with the court within a certain time period. If there is a significant change in your life such as a lost job, the children changing residences, serious injury or disability, or other factors which affect you or your children, you must seek help immediately. Until a Supplemental Petition to Modify is filed, the court cannot modify any prior awards, judgments, or orders.

The court may be limited as to what aspects of a final judgment it can modify. Your attorney will review the final judgment and any associated marital agreements to determine if the modification you seek is possible.

Related Issues:
Parental Responsibility
Custody/Substantial Time Sharing
Visitation/Time Sharing
Child Support

Related proceedings: